Hazelnut Crusted Chicken Tenders with Apricot Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Whether you need a game day party snack or a kid-friendly dinner, these chicken tenders will please everyone at the table. A simple and sweet homemade honey mustard is served alongside these tender pieces of chicken coated in crunchy hazelnuts.
• 6 dried apricots, chopped
• ¼ cup yellow mustard
• ¼ cup spicy brown mustard
• 3 tablespoons honey
• Hot water
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders (about 8 pieces)
• 1/3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1 ½ cups finely chopped Oregon hazelnuts
• 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
• ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- To begin making the dipping sauce, place the apricots in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes while you prepare the chicken.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the flour, egg, and hazelnuts in three separate shallow bowls. Stir a ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper into the flour. Stir the remaining salt and pepper into the finely chopped hazelnuts.
- Working one chicken tender at a time, coat it in flour, dip in the egg, and roll in the hazelnuts to cover it evenly. Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the hazelnuts are lightly browned the chicken is cooked through with no pink remaining in the center.
- Finish the dipping sauce while the chicken bakes. Drain the apricots and add them to a small food processor or cup of a blender. Add the mustards, honey, and one tablespoon hot water. Puree until smooth.
- Serve the chicken tenders warm with the sauce on the side.