Cashew and Berry Mille Feuille
By Sally James, an award-winning Australian author, educator, chef, television presenter and radio host.
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground all spice
1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets filo pastry
2 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup finely chopped cashews, unsalted and unroasted
1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons honey
1 ½ cups mixed berries of choice (or other fruit)
A few Honey roasted cashews (recipe follows)
1-2 teaspoons powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray and cover with parchment paper.
2. In small bowl, combine cinnamon, cardamom, all spice and sugar. Set aside.
3. On clean, dry work surface, place 2 sheets of filo pastry. Brush lightly with melted butter; top with another two sheets filo pastry and brush again with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with half of the cashews and spice mixture. Lay another 2 sheets filo pastry on top, brushing again with melted butter. Sprinkle top with remaining cashews and spice mixture.
4. Cut stack into 12 triangles and place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Place in oven; bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool. Pastry may be prepared up to a week before use, sealed and stored in a cool, dark place.
6. To serve, combine yogurt and honey in medium bowl. Whisk together to blend well. Place a filo triangle on serving place, top with spoonful of whipped yogurt, fresh berries and honey roasted cashews. Repeat, topping with last triangle. Dust Mille Feuille with powdered sugar.
Honey Roasted Cashews: Place ½ cup cashews in a small pan. Add one tablespoon honey, and cook over low heat, stirring to coat. Drain excess honey. Place nuts on parchment lined baking tray. Bake 3-4 minutes at 350F or until golden brown and caramelized. Retain extra nuts for separate use.