Hazelnut Harvest Waffle with Cranberry Pear Sauce
These aren’t your everyday waffles. Pumpkin, sweet berries and toasted hazelnuts provide a warm topping for homemade waffles.
2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup orange juice
⅔ cup sugar
2 pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon bourbon whiskey or vanilla extract
1 cup prepared whipped topping, low fat
1⅔ cups pancake mix
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skin removed, diced
1¼ teaspoons allspice, ground
¾ cup pumpkin, canned, solid-pack
¾ cup milk, whole
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Bring cranberries, orange juice and sugar to boil over medium high heat in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low boil and cook for 7 minutes. Add pears and continue to low boil for 6 to 8 minutes until berries burst, pears are softened and mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Remove from heat.
- Stir bourbon or vanilla into whipped topping until blended; cover and refrigerate.
- Blend pancake mix, hazelnuts and allspice in large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk pumpkin, milk, eggs and oil in small bowl until blended. Stir into spice-mixture until blended. If mixture is too thick, add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Spread 1⅓ cups batter over preheated waffle iron. Cook as directed on mix package. Place ¼ cup cranberry-pear sauce over each waffle square. Dollop 2 tablespoons whipped topping over compote. Dust with additional ground cinnamon and chopped hazelnuts, if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 4, 2-waffle square servings.